7 feb 2012

¿Anglos? Grrrr....

I hate this term Anglo.  I don´t like reading it or using it.  And, I would never refer to myself or any of my friends as Anglo, even if they really have Anglo-Saxon origin.  So what would I use?  If someone were to ask me if I was Anglo, they would probably get more than they bargained for because I would get into a discussion of identity labels before I gave them a label for myself.  On forms where I am asked what my ethnicity is, if they give the option I check I prefer not to disclose.  Being Anglo where I am from means that you have to fight Affirmative Action and go through your genealogy to find any bit of Native American or Latino or Black (Black is the preferred term where I am from) heritage so that you have a better chance of getting the scholarship or the job or whatever it is.  When I am forced to pick a label, there is only one offered to me: White.  Anglo is never on these forms (and rightly so because Anglo-Saxon was a small part of Europe overall), which is part of the reason I am surprised to see it pop up so often in these academic papers.  I don´t want to be German-American, Czech-American, Irish-American, Hungarian-American, English-American, or Norweign-American.  Those are my ´heritages´ but I know nothing of their cultures from my family.  I am ´mixed´ too (I won´t use the term mestizo because of how it makes other people feel), but at the end of the day I am left with American, which says more about me than anything else to out-group members (aka people from other countries), but it says nothing about me to other americanos of whatever race or ethnicity.

I think this is the biggest issue with Whites (and probably many Blacks too) understanding the nature of the identity issues for latinos/hispanos.  We (may) have a hard time understanding identity because we feel so removed from this close-knit communnityness (not as true for all obviously, especially Blacks).  Personally, I don´t even feel connected to my hometown or home state.  Being from Michigan, which is referred to as the Mid-West even though it´s in Eastern Standard Time, people from outside the region will often lump us into the Minnesota/Wisconsin Fargo-type-dialect, which is offensive to us.  So, I dunno, I guess what I am trying to say is that I am trying to understand these identity struggles in the Southwest while dealing with my own dearth of identity, and realizing that identity is clear-cut for very few people in the world.  We are all just a big mess.

Note: Throw gender, personal history, age, and lifestyle into the equation and it gets even harder.

8 comentarios:

  1. The word "Anglo" is curious. When I was younger I felt absolutely no connection to Ohio where I am from. I was traveling and experiencing other places and was jumping on the "my 'culture' isn't cool or valuable" bandwagon. Not saying everyone does this, but I was definitely in the honeymoon stage with other places. I used to feel offended when someone would describe me as "anglo" or "white" because those terms seemed to be associated with oppression. I wanted so badly for people to not look at me as different when I lived in Guatemala, because I wanted friends and a community there.

    As much as I wanted this, and I have great friends, I never was able to join part of a community. I know that it was less my race and way more about social elements. For example I didn't have a family there, and family is important to Guatemalans, and people couldn't understand why I wouldn't be living in the same place as them. These things distinguished my culture or way of living from many of my friends.

    I eventually realized that I was never going to be "latina" or "hispanic" or "Chapina." I got sick of people being really surprised when I spoke Spanish. Many people said "oh you looked so anglo so I didn't expect it!"

    I now will refer to myself as Anglo. Yes my grandmother was Cherokee but I feel like it is just too complicated to explain. It is frustrating, but I just feel like everyone else deals with identity and are carelessly just lumped into one general category. I have come to see it as a way of life and even though I don't like "anglo" I don't really see a way around it without stressing myself out.... does that make sense?

    Sad but true? Keep up your fight Aubrey. I am old and worn out... haaha

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks Amber. I guess I'm not really fighting anything. I am just venting. I feel like ANYBODY besides White people (with nice lives) deserves me to help join their fight for freedom of life and expression. I know that this Anglo thing is a wasted breath because nobody, not even the non-Anglo Whites, cares if Whites are called Anglos (in the Southwest). I have to believe that many non-Anglo Whites would actually prefer to be called Anglo than Ukranian or whatever else they have instead because those Brits (the "original" Anglos) have exercised a lot of power over the centuries and continue to do so (the pound is stronger than the dollar). So, it is like the most prestigious form of White. For me, I am pround NOT to be English (not that I'm not Irish from the area that is England), and I am proud to say that my people came here after the turn of the 19th century (from many different spots), because that is part of my ancestry. I was bitching about Anglo because I am not Anglo, just like Colombians might bitch that they are not Mexicans. Just something that bugs me, so I had to vent. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Borrar
    2. That's great you know your history! I know nothing and I'd love to! I'm pretty sure that I didn't come from the dollar controlling white people. :) I think I'm a moonshiner.

      Borrar
  2. Aubrey, I like that you mentioned in class today that you don't like talking about race. I feel that in so many instances, people try to group others together and then just get on with their lives. Why do these groupings have to take place? Is it really that important to identify and define yourself a certain way? Apparently so. And even if you don't want to identify yourself a certain way, people will come up with their own "classification" as to what you are.

    As much as I hate to say this, people are, in my opinion, judgmental. Whether we like it or not, realize it or not, I believe that everyone is judgmental (sometimes in good and sometimes in bad ways). So I guess what I'm getting at is that even though we may say that that we don't classify ourselves or identify ourselves based on a certain social ´grouping´, others will. And they will do this based on appearance, language, place of living, education and much more.

    I'm sure we have all been judged in some way or another that was completely uncalled for.. My question is, why all the fuss to classify others? I can see the value in it, to make certain social structures better, to aid those in need, but really, it frustrates me that society has to classify everything. If people are going to ask your race on questionnaires, we could take this to a whole new level and question why it is they don't ask what you eat, when you eat, what kind of toilet paper you use..etc.

    Worse than questionnaires, it also frustrates me at times when people ask me directly what I am. What I am....After telling a co-worker at the time that I was New Mexican and Italian she had mentioned that she was 100% Italian, as if to make me feel inferior. You know, I just said, well, I'm 100% CARMELLA, so take that to your name bank!!!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Nice Carmella! I like that response. I get that too. "I'm 100% German" or whatever like I am a mutt. I get annoyed by the labels, but I know that I can't avoid them. C'est la vie. I wrote that post to vent about the word Anglo. I prefer White to Anglo because I don't have any Anglo blood.

      Borrar
  3. "You know, I just said, well, I'm 100% CARMELLA, so take that to your name bank!!!"- WELL played Carmelita!

    ResponderBorrar
  4. Hi Aubrey!
    I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said.... my experience has parallels to yours in that there is no box for me to check off that correctly identifies me either! I hate labels with a passion. My whole life, people have tried to figure me out, that I'm to the point that I just don't care anymore.
    Check this out Aubrey.... turns out that under Race, I'm considered "white"!!!! WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?
    here's my paradox... phenotypically I do not look Mexican. My culture is VERY Mexican. My traditions are Americanized Mexican. My food choices are Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, Cuban, and Puerto Rican. My music choice is Black Gospel, Latin, and R&B.
    So in essence..... I'm with Carmela.... I'M 100% ME!!!!
    Peace!

    ResponderBorrar
  5. Once again, this is exactly what the blog is for!!!

    You get a thick skin traveling in México. People call you whatever they think your most salient feature is so I am pretty much "oye gringo / güero / flaco" etc. THen there's like 'gordo' negrito etc...

    Fun!

    ResponderBorrar