16 feb 2012

negative language attitudes everywhere!

This class is fascinating and I'm really enjoying the fact that I am able to witness some of what the articles discuss, specifically negative language attitudes. The other day I was at dinner with some friends and a group of people I had just met, all bilinguals. Somehow we got to talking about the "Shit Burqenos Say" video (hot topic these days!) and New Mexican Spanish. One of the girls mentioned that she is constantly telling her friends back home that people in New Mexico can't speak Spanish, that it's some sort of "made up language." It was discouraging to hear this, but at the same time I thought, "Wow, this is so awesome because I can give her a different perspective that is backed by research." And I did. It sure felt good to defend New Mexican Spanish. :)

4 comentarios:

  1. That's great! And did they listen to you? I am still working on my Dad... for some reason he just doesn't get it quite yet. But I have faith! It will click someday!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. I don't think she really got it, but she stopped dissing on the Spanish used here. It's hard to change someone's mind about language, but it's worth a try.

      Borrar
  2. !Vaya Carrie! In honor of what we're learning in class, I'm doing a New Mexican palabra del día (or at least a word from U.S. Spanish) in my classes. Its fun because so far I always have heads nodding and people saying, "I've heard that." I've also encouraged my students to bring words in, but no one has so far. I don't know if they believe me that its good stuff, but they thought the number of words for turkey was pretty cool. Btw, if anyone wants to give me suggestions, I'm only beginning to learn--I'll gladly accept!

    ResponderBorrar
  3. That's such a cool idea - you rock for doing that! So I've noticed that people say "Que dice" for "Que pasa" etc. They also use it when answering the phone. It could be a northern New Mexican thing.

    ResponderBorrar