16 feb 2012

Thank you Holly Cashman

I have to say that I am most pleased with this article by Holly Cashman for helping me understand what is going on in the Southwest without feeling like I was getting sneered at.  And although she uses the term Anglo, she put an end note on it the first time she mentioned the word.  So, I went to the end note and she said: "I am using the term Anglo the way it is used in the Southwest, to mean any White person."  Well thank you.  The term Anglo is not used where I am from, and I was a bit offended by it constantly appearing in our readings- until this reading.  Now I understand that it is a term used (without insult... I think) in the Southwest, and I don't feel so bad.  By the way, I called up my mother and asked her if I have any Anglo-Saxon blood in me, and she said no.  I was mistaken about having English blood.  So, hmm.  To me that's kind of like calling a 4th generation (which I am) Puerto Rican immigrant to the US a Mexican....  But whatever.  This class is for learning about the issues the Spanish language and native/heritage Spanish speakers have here in the Southwest.

This was a very nice article for me, though, because as I mentioned in class last Thursday, there are a lot of uninformed Whites, Blacks, Asians, etc. that don't understand why Spanish-speakers in the Southwest are so frustrated, and I think nice articles like this can open their eyes to both the objective and subjective side without making them feel defensive.  I think that may be at the root of the problem- people don't like to lose face, and hearing that other members of your group (English-only speakers without any connection to Hispanic culture) are passing discriminatory laws or flat out being racist can make you feel embarrassed and ashamed to wear your skin color in front of someone who represents the oppressed.  It's so complicated on both sides that I think the best thing we can do is put the information out there in a calm and objective manner (with subjective pieces) so that the biggest bigots can see their errors without feeling attacked (not that they don't deserve it).

3 comentarios:

  1. " I think that may be at the root of the problem- people don't like to lose face, and hearing that other members of your group (English-only speakers without any connection to Hispanic culture) are passing discriminatory laws or flat out being racist can make you feel embarrassed and ashamed to wear your skin color in front of someone who represents the oppressed."

    Well put.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. This is exactly what I love about having this blog be part of the class. SOmetimes it's hard to articulate this stuff in the group dynamic.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Creo que el saber que en algún momento te sentiste ofendida por el uso y la referencia de la palabra “anglo” me ayuda a ver las cosas de una manera distinta. Ahora pensaré muy bien cómo debo de referirme a las personas cuando no las conozco. Cuando piensas que los estás respetando puede que sea todo lo contrario :)

    No recuerdo si ya lo comentamos en clase pero, en mi caso, decir que soy mexicana o que se refieran a mi como mexicana me parece algo de lo más normal. Sin embargo cuando lo dicen en inglés “mexican” me siento un tanto ofendida y no se por qué. Se que muchas personas comparten este sentimiento conmigo pero es casi inexplicable. Si esa es la traducción deberíamos de aceptarla… no se

    ResponderBorrar