15 mar 2012

Clovis' perspective on mexicanos

I just returned from visiting family in Clovis a couple days ago and had a few interesting conversations at the dinner table about Spanish in NM that I would like to share with you all. My mom's family has lived in Clovis all of their lives and generally speaking, Clovis is a very white, sheltered and racist community. Mexicanos (and African Americans) are greatly looked down upon, are constantly called inappropriate names and are not completely integrated into the community. I have a couple cousins (18 and 21 years old), that grew up in Clovis. After speaking with them this past weekend, I could tell that my younger cousin, who goes to school at ENMU in Portales, still holds these racist ideas about Mexicans and Spanish. He refused to take Spanish in high school and still refuses to take it in college. This weekend I heard him using the term Mexican in a very derogatory way and saying a slew of other things that I don't want to repeat. Needless to say, I was very disappointed but because I have known how Clovis is all of my life, I am not surprised. The older cousin is finishing her degree here at UNM and has made great changes in her view of Hispanics in Albuquerque. She no longer uses the terms she used to use that I used to get on her case for so many times, and she loves the Stuff Burqueños Say videos because she can now relate to them. One of the neatest comments she said while at the dinner table was that she thinks Albuquerque is such a cool place because we can throw Spanish words into our everyday English language and no one thinks it is weird. She gave examples like: gracias, de nada, por favor, hola and que pasa. Keep in mind, she does not speak Spanish, but she knows these words well simply because she has lived in Albuquerque for 4 years. Her perspective has really changed since growing up in Clovis.

My aunt (my cousins' mother) was also involved in our conversation that night. She works at an elementary school in Clovis that is made up of low-income non-white families. Many of her kindergartners speak only Spanish when they first come into her classroom and she has to work extra hard in order to integrate them and make them learn English like the rest of the kids. One of her strategies is to receive help from one of the other kindergartners in her classroom. Since my aunt does not speak any Spanish, she asks another child to translate for the new child. She says, to her surprise, that the child looks at her like, you want me to speak Spanish?! She never understood why they were so shy about it and didn't understand why they all of a sudden didn't want to speak Spanish when my aunt is deliberately asking them. I explained the NM school history and explained that the don't-speak-Spanish-outside-the-home attitude could well be passed down from the grandparents, parents and brothers and sisters down to these innocent 5 year old children. Finally, she understood why they were looking at her like, are you going to punish me if I speak to him in Spanish? My aunt said that they will also speak Spanish among themselves when they are alone, but once she walks over to them, they will immediately switch to English.

Isn't it amazing that little 5 year old kids already have these attitudes within them?

3 comentarios:

  1. I really like your post here, Christy. I'm sure many of us have and will continue to find ourselves in similar situations as your own when we encounter negative attitudes toward a language/culture. In my opinion, there are several ways of handling these situations. One, simply being passive, doing nothing, saying nothing leaves an end result with absolutely no progress made toward enlightening those that are in need of it. However, on the other side of this, I have often encountered people who I wouldn't even want to try and demonstrate my real opinions about the matter because I know they are so stuck on their own clouded opinions that it would seem like a waste of energy to even bother. The harmful consequence of being passive like this, is that noone is educated and people continue in their ways. So the second option to handle such a situation would be to question why they believe what they believe and try to educate them. It may be harder with the older generations, but younger ones, such as your cousins may be able to relate. I think a great way to do this would be to give them a book, such as Bless Me Ultima for christmas. They may not read it right away, but possibly, or heck I would even give them The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Seriously. That'll knock their socks off and leave them running barefooted through the hot Clovis sun not knowing which direction to run to. JK. Hmmm, this is giving me ideas for my own family. Most importantly, you could also try to give them a little history lesson on the area and why languages, culture studies are vital in a land that lives between cultures. It's the only way to move forward, and everyone needs to work together to make any sort of progress. The last way to handle such a situation, which I'm sure is so often done, is to become so diheartened and sour with such perspectives that they just throw the finger at 'em which only causes the distancing to widen. And this is exactly why it's so important for us to act as educators towards those who have such views. So I encourage everyone to take a stand and support cultural rights, we all have them and it's up to us to act as educators toward the matter.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I like your idea to give them books, Carmela. Some of the stuff we've been reading in Rebolledo's class would be good, like Zeta Acosta, Santiago Baca or Rodriguez. Talk about powerful, enlightening stuff!! It's impossible not to learn about SW history and the importance of culture and activism from these guys.

    And Christi, I think it's so great that your cousin has had a change of heart after coming to Albuquerque. It's not easy to change your perspective on an issue so that's really commendable. Now you guys can be positive influences together. :)

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Christi, me parece muy interesante lo que comentas acerca de Clovis como un lugar un tanto racista. En algunas ocasiones tuve la oportunidad de estar ahí pero no las suficientes como para darme cuenta de lo que tú mencionas. Es muy triste escuchar estas cosas negativas de este lugar porque al haber estudiado en ENMU (que esta a 20 millas de Clovis) me di cuenta que la economía de Portales depende en una mayoría de “dairy industries” y también de la agricultura. Es claro que estos trabajos los realizan mayormente los hispanos, que para aquel entonces tenia entendido que eran alrededor del 40% de la población. Cuando vuelva a estos lugares tendré que poner más atención a esto.

    ResponderBorrar