16 mar 2012

I want you!... to speak English

I made a visit to Old Town this week with my boyfriend from Ohio.  He was as struck as I was encountering some very racist T-shirts/ material at a store there.  There were shirts that said the following. "Designated Driver".. with a dog driving a horse for what looked to be a native American or Hispanic person.  We saw "They know what happen when you don't control immigration"... with a picture of Native Americans in head dresses.  And this T-shirt (actual picture my bf took):



In the store we were pretty loudly talking about how terrible and racist it was. A gentleman walked by and said "I know! hahaha... so funny!"  I guess he thought we were saying "haha... this is so racist in a good way!"  I posted it on facebook and got some pretty different reactions. Most people were appalled, and one person thought it could be satire.  One guy says that he hopes people wear it so that they can be publicly singled out for being a racist.  I think in order for this to be satire people a large amount of people need to be able to "get" the joke. Most people see this and either think it is terrible... or think it is funny (and not in a satirical sense).  I mention my boyfriend in the post because he is from the north and has very little exposure to Hispanic culture or Spanish.  He said something to the effect of "I can understand something ignorant like this happening in Ohio, where we have little exposure to Spanish, but New Mexico is the LAST place on earth you should see something like this."  This place WAS Mexico a little over a hundred years ago! 

Basically my prevailing thought from this incident was that it seems to have become common place to exploit and trivialize"Hispanic" or "Spanish" things like food and architecture (Old Town) for profit, while at the same time separating them from it's language and true culture.  It is like saying "we own this now and can do what we want with it."  It makes me wonder on a large scale who we (the people) allow to propagate and be the bearers of culture.  Seems to be like "money, money, money, money...moneeeyyyy" pretty much has the final say. 




1 comentario:

  1. Amber, me parece que has traído un tema muy interesante a discusión. Estoy consciente de que cada persona tiene derecho de expresar su ideología de la manera que le parezca conveniente, sin embargo no por eso deja de tener un significado negativo para mi. Como lo comentaron en clase, me parece irónico el simple hecho de que se estén vendiendo camisetas con estas imágenes en Old Town. Me gustaría pensar que esto podría ser una sátira pero el hecho de que sea Uncle Sam (representante de América por casi dos siglos) el que esté dando voz a estas palabras me hace pensar que se esta intentando marcar un territorio, con un idioma. Creo que esto demuestra que hay una falta de concientización en las personas, quizás por ignorancia o por desinterés, el problema es que es parte de la realidad. Es triste pensar que no hay un entendimiento o interés en aceptar que el español es parte de la cultura, de la tradición nuevomexicana.

    Creo que las ideologías que son demasiado cerradas o sujetas a reglas nos llevan a cometer errores graves. Tengo que admitir que cuando llegué a Nuevo México me parecía que no hablaban “correctamente” el español. Con el tiempo me fui dando cuenta que vivía en la ignorancia, que cada cultura debe de ser apreciada y respetada. Para lograr esto es necesario estar informado de su historia, de sus raíces. Después de estar consciente de esto, daría vergüenza tratar de imponer reglas que no tienen ningún fundamento y que, comparado con la historia de estas personas, van a parecer más vanas que reales.

    ResponderBorrar