12 abr 2012

Dear Latinas: You are not allowed to make fun of yourselves

Dear Latinas: You are not allowed to make fun of yourselves

Hmm..  I never thought people would take Sofia Vergara so seriously. In this article, it says that "she can hardly be imagined credibly portraying an intelligent and sophisticated Latina". But she is an actress! I wonder what they would have to say about Will Ferrell. Has he ever done anything intelligent and sophisticated? Intelligent and sophisticated Latinas can have thick accents and curvy bodies too!!

It looks like no one will be allowed to make fun of themselves in order to make good television because it might be politically incorrect. What do you think? Is she offensive?

3 comentarios:

  1. Crazy! At the end of her article she says something like "We say "Enough is enough" in good English". Sofia Vergara has good English! She was born and grew up in Colombia for god's sake, she is going to have an accent. Gosh, I think "in-group" members sometimes put more of a pressure on people and judge them more harshly. I am finding this in my research now!

    Think of it this way. This is a person note to all us gringos, anglos, or those of us who learned Spanish as a second language. I think we non-native speakers get more perturbed by strong "gringo" accents than native speakers do. Seriously we all need to take a chill pill and stop trying to prove ourselves.

    That is how I feel about this article. CHILL PILL!

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Yes! I totally agree. Ya know, one way to think about it is: do we get annoyed when someone from another country (non Spanish speaking) speaks in English to us and has a strong accent? NO! Therefore, there is a good chance native speakers don't care when we speak with strong "gringo" accents. When my students come to me worried about their "bad" accents, I give them that example. There is no need to be ashamed or shy!

    ResponderBorrar
  3. I would have to say just look at George Lopez! He makes fun of race, ethnicity and Mexican American Culture all the time and nobody thinks of him any different! Although Lopez, was born in the United States he considers himself "Mestizo", which is the one of the biggest demographics in Mexico. He may not be a pure "latino" according to DNA but everyone considers him Mexican and not an American.

    I think if you are good at your job, in this case an Actress/Actor, you will be praised for great acting regardless if it is funny or publicity correct.

    I think for Sofia to tell other Latinas that you cant make yourself is obnoxious. Amber you said it perfectly "Chill Pill" haha.

    ResponderBorrar