3 abr 2012

El Mezquite: My attempt at linguistic research


I was afraid of doing this activity from the get go. When I finally got myself to El Mezquite, which is just a few blocks from my house, on the morning of the day it was due, I was mortified. I went into the market and just started milling about, trying to tranquilizarme lo suficiente para poder hablar con un empleo. Por fin, lo logré hacer. I waited until an older woman came close to me in the frutería. I felt embarrassed, and finally managed to say very softly, “Disculpe, um, ¿qué son estos?” I held up a chayote. This was probably a mistake, because she answered, “es un chayote.” I put it down and pointed to the group of them and said, “¿qué son?” She answered, “chayotes,” more slowly this time. Then I pointed to the bananas, “¿y estos?” She answered, “plátano,” very quickly. I said “¿Cómo? She repeated, “son plátanos.” she said more slowly. I was sensing that she was getting slightly annoyed by my questions, and I quickly said, “muchas gracias. O, este, una cosa más, cómo se llaman estos?” I pointed the avocados. “Son aguacates.” At this moment another person was walking by us and I noticed they were watching. I felt that they must have thought I was an idiot. I felt really embarrassed. I walked away. She may have not been annoyed at all, but I was definitely projecting my insecurities onto the situation. 
I looked at some candles and soaps and other toiletries, kind of hiding out until she was gone. I went back the produce. When a younger man walked by I got his attention. I ended up asking him about plátanos again, aguacates, papas, tomates and fresas. He seemed more amused by my questions, but immediately tried speaking to me in English. When I asked about the plátanos, he answered, “bananas” slowly and with a smile. I had to say, “sí pero ¿en español?” He answered me in Spanish, but then wanted to know why I spoke Spanish and where I learned. I suddenly felt like an imposter. I regretted coming to the store right by my house. I hadn’t been there in over a year, but still, what if I wanted to start going more often? They have fresh tortillas and yummy queso in the carnicería. Was I supposed to lie? I thought it must have seemed very strange that I was speaking in Spanish but asking dumb questions. I told him in English that I didn’t get to practice a lot and forgot a lot of easy stuff and wanted to practice and remind myself. After that, he was very nice and answered my questions. Still, I felt like one of the younger women working there and other clients were judging me or thinking that maybe I was flirting with this guy. I felt kind of dumb. Once again there was a moment where he answered “es un aguacate,” and I had to repeat, “¿qué son?” After which he said, “aguacates” more slowly.  One interesting moment was when I was asking about tomatoes, and the first time he answered very quickly que “son tomate” he kind of ate the S or cut it off.  I was excited, but also not sure if it was because he answered so quickly. The second time he said “tomates.” 
I thanked him and wandered around again, feeling like there was a big magnifying glass hovering over me and wondering if I could really talk to anyone else. I finally spoke to another young man, but by then felt like the jig was up. I only asked him about tomatoes, and he very quickly answered “son jitomates” as he kept walking by, not interested in me, not really making much eye contact. I thought it was interesting that he said “jitomates” en vez de decir “tomates.” Anyway, I was feeling red in the face and like I stood out in the store. Had he heard/seen me talking to the other guy? I realize now that it would have been much better to ask about many different things, and only one or two per person. Oh well. I was done. I ended up buying some veggies and when I went to pay, the young woman at the register talked to me in English. I was so relieved to get out of there, even though I had only talked to 3 people. Well, more like 2.  I need to work on my investigating skills ;)      

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario