26 abr 2012

I PROMISE... THIS IS THE LAST ONE!!!

Ok.... so yesterday SB1070 was brought before the Supreme Court, and being that the majority of the "viejitos" are conservative, they actually sided with Arizona's Law.....   OK... so if we look at the law itself, then it is very cut and dry... HOWEVER... no one was talking about what is actually happening.
I happened to come across this article about How SB1070 is being used and implemented.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/24/arizona-immigration-law-hispanic-communities?newsfeed=true

The most that was mentioned yesterday was that it can take up to 70 minutes to detain someone to investigate legal status.  WHY WASN'T THIS BROUGHT UP?????     WTH is happening here?!?!

You all know how I feel about this nastiness, and I'm so worried about my family over there, all of my cousins, aunts and uncles that are legal and they have to watch their backs just because of what they look like..... NASTY!!!

********I officially digress. My next post will be a nice fluffy and feel-good posting **********

-Ruben.

2 comentarios:

  1. Ruben, thank you for sharing this news, as well as your posts about how your family has been/is personally affected by the racism and discrimination occurring in AZ. My heart goes out to you and yours, and everyone else who has felt the personal pain of being degraded opening and publicly by these laws and those who propagate and support them. And F*** the supreme court and their ignorant decision! I have been reading through all the blogs the past few days and it has made me spend some time reading up on SB1070 as well as SB2281...and I feel so ready to get more involved. I appreciate classes such as this one that don't completely cut us off from reality and current issues. SO often in school I feel completely "out of the loop" because I am constantly trying to get all the reading done, which has a huge focus on the past, without much connection to the present. Knowing the past is vital, but I hate feeling disconnected from the present or feeling like theres no time to stay in touch with whats going on in the world..the real world.

    ANYWAYZ... gracias Ruben and your fam is in my thoughts. You got any plans for action this summer??? Im down to join!!

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Awww Amanda, you're too cool! Thank You!! I have no plans for action as of yet... I'm sure they'll come up. But I'll tell you this, right now if I were to do something, it would not be good. There's a little too much emotion going on for me to do something rational. If I were in front of any of these people (Brewer, Martinez, Arpaio, etc.) my first instinct would be to slap them. I do not need that right now... But I do wish I could get them where it hurts most politically... their pride! But the sad thing is, and I've heard this from several people that've been around longer than me, that it is soon going to take one single deed that is going to turn this whole thing upside-down. Politically we will rise up and take control, however right now I can only arm myself with knowledge and wisdom.

    Una Abrazo Amanda,
    -Rubén.

    ResponderBorrar