21 abr 2012

Teaching SHL material

Damián asked a very good question at the end of our last class which I have been thinking about for quite some time now.  He asked us how to get his TA's to teach the heritage language class if we do not necessarily speak the traditional NM Spanish.  Although I didn't necessarily learn to speak the traditional NM Spanish, I highly value it and try to incorporate it more and more and I'm always thinking of ways to implement it in class.  Even though some TA's may not speak the traditional NM spanish, there are definitely ways for students to utilize their heritage background to learn from it and to appreciate it.

For me, I believe I need to implement more activities in which they do just that.  Utilize their heritage backgrounds.  This could be in the form of a weekly homework assignment in which they have to find specific words, phrases that their family/friends use that is unique to NM. They could then do an assignment incorporating those words/phrases.  This would be something I would need to think more about.  We also have them work on verbs of the day, which they have to form sentences and work on their verb usage each week.  Rather than us giving them the verbs, it may be better to have them find some that their family/friends utilize.

I think, the more cultural activities, the better.  Dichos, recipes, small villages stories, unique family stories that have been passed down; these are all some ideas to start off with.  Fun activities to incorporate dichos, recipes and stories are something I might need to think about unless anyone has any suggestions :)

Most importantly, I think interacting and utilizing their heritage backgrounds could prove a beneficial learning experience for the students.  Then, they could share with others and it would hopefully be a learning experience for everyone involved, including me.  This doesn't go to say that I would only incorporate NM Spanish, but I would like to get a better grasp on implementing more activities which do so.  So if you have any suggestions, ideas, comments, feel free to let me know!

1 comentario:

  1. Oh my goodness you would not believe how fast my classes will take off platicando once I ask them to tell me any phrases, words or commands they have heard at home and at their grandparents houses! They absolutely love showing off what they know! Especially to me who is learning all of these words simultaneously. I have done it with all of my classes so far and it is so great to see how they bond as a class. I loosely plan the activity for the day so that they can take it wherever they go. Believe me, they don't need any help either! The "Stuff Burqueños Say" video definitely came up in both of my classes this semester. Even though some of what they say may be in English that day, I let it go because the content is so rich. They realize that there are other students in the class that know exactly what "chones" are and they aren't afraid to say it. :) I love it when my students teach me so much about NM. It is such a confidence booster for them as well because they realize the know SO much, even though they didn't realize it before. I may throw all sorts of new stuff at them during the semester, but it is so great to see them happy and satisfied to know that they already know so much (and more than me!). It is a part of the class that lets them totally be themselves, in whatever language they want.

    ResponderBorrar