27 abr 2012

My friend myrlin (rapper/poet) from Arizona

Hey Class,

So this is my friend Myrlin Hepworth from Arizona. He has lived in three places during his life: New Mexico, Idaho, and now Arizona. He is a really good poet and brings up a lot of questions in his poems about culture identity. Reminded me of the conversation we were having yesterday about "what do you consider yourself?"

I am going to post the link to the radio show he was on, it is kind of long but you can download it or just listen to it all on the link! Hopefully you all will enjoy.


http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_12916173

here is a direct link to his poems page and the poem I was talking about!!
http://soundcloud.com/myrlinpoetics/ritchie-valens

Around 6:30 and 23 min are his two sections where he raps one of his songs and does a poem! 

Justin Aragon

3 comentarios:

  1. Gracias por compartir Justin. Your friends poetry is dope! I love the mescla of spoken word and hip hop and the funky music samples...very cool. In the words of Afrika Bambaataa and the Zulu Nation: "spread the word of peace love unity and having fun through the elements of hip hop culture."
    Music and artistic expression are truly vehicles for unity and positive change in the word.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. That poem you played for us today after class was sweet. I think your friend has great rhythm and definitely a lot of passion. It is awesome to chill with other people from New Mexico who want to preserve el español as well. I knew that Richie Valens had been oppressed (that´s all I remember, is that word), but I never knew the specific instances of discrimination that he experienced. Now that I heard it through the words of your poet friend, I am inspired and I have even more respect for Richie Valens.

    Thanks for playin´it.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. No problem Aubrey! Myrlin has been one of those people you meet in life and gives you a reason to have a passion for whatever you do. One thing that is really interesting about him is his background. He doesnt speak Spanish fluently (as of Jan when I visited him) but he keeps trying to learn it everyday because it is part of his heritage. He loves to use "spanglish" in his raps and switch up the dialect, which is sweet! haha
    But like i had said earlier this year, he is really involved with the "mexican/underprivileged" communities in Arizona and is supporting their movement. Its really cool to see him making an impact with these kids and the "artistic" community, while pushing for a less discriminated mindset for everyone.

    ResponderBorrar