21 abr 2012

"Private" Language Use in the classroom

After our discussion about different bilingual levels and the various types on bilinguals (circumstantial, etc.), it made a lot of sense to me that one reason heritage students may not feel comfortable speaking the spanish they grew up with is because that language is a "private" language, one that's only heard and spoken at home.  I feel this way all the time.  I like to be able to use the Spanish I hear from my grandmother, but at the same time, it's something so close to me that I am not always that comfortable using it and sharing it.

Last semester when I did a project for Prof. Lamadrid's class, it was a little hard for me to open up and share my grandmother's story to the class.  Growing up, her story was always just between us, and maybe my mom and my aunt.  Being that she didn't and doesn't share the story with many people, I thought it was something just between us and therefore, I kept it to myself.  Her story is just so fascinating, the way she tells it and everything that I thought it might be something worthwhile to investigate, find the symbolic meaning of the different elements within her story and to learn about the bigger meaning and messages of her story, so I decided that would be my project for Lamadrid's class.  I recorded her story, analyzed the story, shared her story with the class and to my surprise, everyone loved it and my grandmother was happy that I was sharing her story.  So, after having this experience I realized her story is worthy to share and even though other people know about it, it will always be something special to me and now, I'm happy I'm able to share it with others and so is she.

My point through all this, is that this is probably how many students in SHL feel.  They are probably unaware that they have so many rich cultural ties that they take it for granted.  With my future classes, I think I will start off the semester by reminding them just that, and to not be ashamed feel withdrawn from their "private" language.  Maybe I can even use my grandmother's story as an introduction to an activity in which they have to find a story or something unique about their family that only their grandparents or someone special has told them...hmmm.

3 comentarios:

  1. Carmella,

    I think that is an awesome idea. I agree that home language is very private and it evokes certain feelings that humans just aren't very good at understanding. I think that if you share her story and then have the students meditate on it and find their own "private language story" it would really help them open up to the language in general. Thanks for sharing!

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Desde que estoy tomando esta clase me he puesto a pensar en lo importante que es tener en como compañeros a personas que pueden compartir experiencias que no serían iguales si únicamente las leyéramos. Si no fuera por personas como tú que traen sus experiencias familiares, personales al salón de clases, difícilmente tendríamos la oportunidad de apreciarlas y darles el valor que se merecen y, a la misma vez, para que prevalezcan.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. I too think that is a great idea! I think if students can personalize language for themselves and make it a significant part of their lives through stories, family experiences and expression then they will be more motivated to study the language. I believe that maybe the desire to someday share their story or the story of someone close to them, like you did, would also prove to be a motivation for learning the language and maintaining it. Great post Carmella!

    ResponderBorrar